Yucatán and Campeche States Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to the Yucatán and Campeche States
Visiting spectacular Mayan ruins: Chichén Itzá and Uxmal are two of the largest, most beautiful sites in the region.
Living like a wealthy hacendado: You can stay in a restored henequen (sisal) plantation-turned-hotel and delight in its old-world charm.
Browsing at fantastic crafts markets: This region is known for its handmade hamacas (hammocks), piñatas, and other local handicrafts.
Swimming in the secluded, pristine freshwater cenotes: These sinkholes, like portals to the underworld, are scattered throughout the inland landscape.
The chance to taste the diverse flavors of Yucatecan food: Mérida has 50-odd restaurants, which serve up local specialties like fish stews and Mayan-originated dishes like pollo pibil (chicken cooked in banana leaves).
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's