- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Sports and the Outdoors
For scuba diving, head to Isla Lobos (Island of the Wolves), a protected eco-reserve that shares its space with a military outpost and a lighthouse. In the shallow water offshore are a few shipwrecks and colorful reefs with puffer fish, parrot fish, damselfish, and barracuda. Generally, the best time to dive is between May and August.
Aqua Sport, west of Playa Tuxpan, arranges diving trips to Isla Lobos. Single-tank dives for groups of four or more cost around $80 per person; a single person can expect to pay $160. Carretera la Playa, Km 8.5, Tuxpan, Veracruz, 92800. 783/837-0259.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $80 -- Wyndham Cabo San Lucas Resort, Incl. 25% Meals CheapCaribbean.com
- $115-$149 -- Cancun: 4-Star Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun
- $599 & up -- All-Incl. Riviera Maya Adult-Only Resort w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $499 -- New Ship to Cozumel on 6-Night Cruise MSC Cruises
- $3.42 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com