- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
Nogales International Airport is about 16 km (10 mi) south of the border. A taxi from the airport to downtown Nogales costs about $15.
You no longer need a car permit to drive south of Nogales. You only need a car permit if you're traveling farther than Ciudad Obregón (the permits can be obtained at Km 21, just south of Nogales). They are free (but must be returned) if you plan to stay in Sonora, and will cost $31 if you are going elsewhere in Mexico.
Most visitors to Sonora travel by car from Tucson via Interstate 19 to the border in Nogales, Arizona. Mexico's Highway 15, a divided four-lane toll road, begins in Nogales. This highway is the fastest way to get to Hermosillo and Guaymas-San Carlos, but expect to pay approximately $15 in tolls. The alternative libre (free) routes are generally slower and not as well maintained, though by no means problematic.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe