- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
The chance to visit a colonial city: Wonderfully preserved Álamos has great hotels and restaurants and a friendly community of American expats.
Having a beach all to yourself: Resort towns provide plenty of creature comforts, but secluded beaches await those with a sense of adventure and a four-wheel drive.
Experiencing ancient traditions: Several indigenous groups here still live close to their roots—you might get a chance to see Yaqui and Mayo ceremonies.
Going off the grid: An otherworldly landscape of volcanic craters and towering sand dunes, El Pinacate is isolated, mysterious, and strictly for adventurous sorts.
A drive along the Río Sonora: Exploring this river route into the sleepy towns in the foothills of the Sierra Madre gives you a glimpse of traditional Mexican cowboy life.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe