- The chance to visit a colonial city Wonderfully preserved Álamos has great hotels and restaurants and a friendly community of American expats.
- Having a beach all to yourself Resort towns provide plenty of creature comforts, but secluded beaches await those with a sense of adventure and a four-wheel drive.
- Experiencing ancient traditions Several indigenous groups here still live close to their roots—you might get a chance to see Yaqui and Mayo ceremonies.
- Going off the grid An otherworldly landscape of volcanic craters and towering sand dunes, El Pinacate is isolated, mysterious, and strictly for adventurous sorts.
- A drive along the Río Sonora Exploring this river route into the sleepy towns in the foothills of the Sierra Madre gives you a glimpse of traditional Mexican cowboy life.
Need trip ideas? Check out our curated collections of destinations around the globe.More