- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Also referred to as the Bajío, this area (parts of the states of Guanajuato, Querétaro, and Michoacán) really is the heartland of Mexico—geographically and historically. This is where men and women first fought and died for national independence, and where a 60-foot-high statue of Christ the King (Cristo Rey) keeps watch from atop the highest mountain in Guanajuato. The main attraction of the region is a collection of colonial cities, many former silver-and-gold-mining centers. Beyond city life, the mountains beckon intrepid bike riders, and natural hot springs invite all to relax.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's