Built in 1580 as the archbishop of Guanajuato's residence, this elegant country-style inn still attracts ambassadors, diplomats, film stars, and other luminaries. Rooms are distributed throughout a series of small mansions. Lace curtains, handwoven rugs, and chandeliers adorn some of them; fireplaces, cozy terraces, and skylights enhance others. The hotel runs the separate Casa del Parque, an exquisitely restored 18th-century hacienda with five guest rooms a few
minutes' walk away, on the Parque Benito Juárez; its restaurant serves refined versions of traditional Mexican dishes and has a popular Sunday buffet brunch.