- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Founded in the 16th century on the shores of the tranquil Lake Pátzcuaro, this town remained largely undisturbed for several centuries until it was "discovered" by international and Mexican tourists. The town's founder was Bishop Vasco de Quiroga, who implemented a plan whereby area villages were assigned a different skill, and to this day their descendants have continued this tradition: artisans in nearby Paracho produce excellent guitars; those in Tzintzuntzán are known for their green-glazed pottery; hand-beaten copper plates and vases come from Santa Clara; lacquerware from Quiroga; fanciful catrinas (high-society ladies with the face of a skeleton) from Capula; and the finest rebozos (shawls) are handwoven in Nurío.
Many of Pátzcuaro's principal sights are near the Plaza Vasco de Quiroga and Plaza Bocanegra in the center of town. Lake Pátzcuaro, which you must surely visit, is a 10-minute cab ride from the center of town. Note that the archaeological areas are closed on Monday. If you want to visit the surrounding villages you can hire taxis. Trails near Pátzcuaro wind up to nearby hilltops for great views across town and the countryside.
On November 1 the town is inundated with tourists en route to Janítzio, an island in Lake Pátzcuaro, where one of Mexico's most elaborate Day of the Dead graveyard ceremonies takes place. Many younger people take the journey to the village of Tzintzuntzán, where for them Day of the Dead festivities are focused primarily on imbibing.
Pátzcuaro at a Glance
- Biblioteca Pública Gertrudis Bocanegra
- La Basílica de Nuestra Señora de la Salud
- La Casa de los 11 Patios
- Lake Pátzcuaro
Elsewhere in San Miguel de Allende and the Heartland
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book Now & Save 25%: La Mansion del Burro Azul & Spa in May Save with Expedia, $29/night less
- Book in Morelia: Save at the Fiesta Inn Morelia in May Fr $92+/Nt Expedia
- Book Vista Express in May: Save 25% on this stay! — $56 Save with Expedia, $16/night less
- Special deal: 3-Star y Suites Galeria Fr $79+/Nt — $79 Expedia
- Book the Casa de Los Dulces Suenos 3 Nts in May Fr $77+/Nt — $77 Expedia