- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Mineral de Pozos
The captivating Sierra Gorda town of Pozos was a silver-mining center for centuries. Now it's a virtual ghost town of about 2,000 people, where you can roam the crumbling buildings, including the eerie, abandoned church. There are two hotels with restaurants on the main square; inquire at either to arrange a tour of the old mines above the city. The mines are ideal for picnicking, but if you go by yourself, be careful; some shafts are unguarded and easy to stumble into if you're not paying attention. Pozos is a 45-minute drive from San Miguel; take the highway toward Querétaro and turn on the road marked "Dr. Mora."
Mineral de Pozos at a Glance
Elsewhere in San Miguel de Allende and the Heartland
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's