San Miguel de Allende and the Heartland Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Los Cabos
Also referred to as the Bajío, this area (parts of the states of Guanajuato, Querétaro, and Michoacán) really is the heartland of Mexico—geographically and historically. This is where men and women first fought and died for national independence, and where a 60-foot-high statue of Christ the King (Cristo Rey) keeps watch from atop the highest mountain in Guanajuato. The main attraction of the region is a collection of colonial cities, many former silver-and-gold-mining centers. Beyond city life, the mountains beckon intrepid bike riders, and natural hot springs invite all to relax.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best San Miguel de Allende and the Heartland restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in San Miguel de Allende and the Heartland
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Book in Morelia: Save at the Fiesta Inn Morelia in May Fr $92+/Nt Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Morelia this May Fr $58+/Nt Save with Expedia, $27/night less
- Book Turotel Morelia in May: Book Now & Save 25% — $83 Save with Expedia, $23/night less
- Morelia Savings! Book at y Suites Galeria Fr $79+/Nt — $79 Expedia
- Save at 3-Star Suites San Miguel: $134 & Up in May — $134 Expedia
Experiencing modern life amid colonial grandeur: The Heartland's cities preserve the best of colonial Mexico, but they're not stuck in the past... Read more
The local-food movement is alive and well in San Miguel. With several nearby farms now specializing in organic food, San Miguel has seen the... Read more
Fábrica La Aurora. A 10-minute walk from the center of town, Fábrica La Aurora, which was established in 1902, was the principal... Read more
From birding and bathing to mountain biking and golfing, enjoying the outdoors around San Miguel, with its eternal spring climate, is an opportunity... Read more
Named for its central position, the Heartland is known for its well-preserved colonial architecture, its fertile farmland and encircling mountains... Read more
Summertime is practically synonymous with road trips.... Read more
A family trip to Hawaii's Big Island would be one filled with outdoor thrills, animal adventures, and... Read more
A babymoon in the Bahamas has one order of business: you must do absolutely nothing.... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Now57° F Mostly Cloudy 94% Humidity May 24, 2013 at 3:50AM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Arrived on direct flight from Denver, luckily it was an easy travel day. Read more
Hi there! Read more