- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
At a Glance
- wonderful views
- tranquil setting on a huge, tree-studded property
- gifted body workers and yoga teachers
- no Wi-Fi access
- cab ride from Sayulita
- limited cell phone coverage
Haramara Retreat Review
Mind-blowing views and acres of trees are yours, as well as blissful breezes off the Pacific Ocean, at this oasis of tranquility just south of Sayulita. Originally a retreat for yoga groups only, Haramara—which means "Grandmother Sea" in the Huichol language—is now open to individual travelers. With its own private beach and several large pergolas for meditation, Haramara is a wonderful venue for a rejuvenating vacation away from phones, television, and (gasp!) cyberspace. Included in the price are three healthful meals at the ocean-view restaurant, which specializes in vegetarian cuisine but offers seafood as well. Vegans and those with food allergies or other dietary requirements are accommodated. Expert body workers give several types of massage, and private yoga lessons are available, as are surfing lessons and surf safaris. A packed dirt path lead up and down the hilly, 12-acre property to thatch-roofed bungalows that open to the sea breezes. The showers also are open-sided so you can admire the views as you bathe. Comfortable beds are surrounded by mosquito netting; hardwood floors, bamboo siding, and thatch roofs complete the Robinson Crusoe feel of the place.
- Address: Off paved road from Sayulita to Punta de Mita, about 2½ km (1½ mi) off Carretera 200, Playa Escondida, Puerto Vallarta, 63732
- Phone: 329/291–3558
- Website: www.haramararetreat.com
- Location: Puerto Vallarta
- 15 bungalows, 1 dorm-style room.
- Rate includes all meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
While I have not yet received the pics of the Stripped Marlin I caught in Cabo - the one who jumped completely out of the water at least 8 times (looked like a Rainbow Trout it was so agile - but hey - Read more
hola mi amigos- Just returned from 10 glorious days in my beloved Puerto Vallarta, so here is my new thread for this most recent trip.
The weather was HOT, from 82-87 degree range but hit 95 at couple Read more
Hello (or should I say Hola). Read more
· News & Features
When it comes to Riviera Nayarit, our advice is go now before the crowds take over.... Read more
While family trips to the zoo can be fun, we recommend taking the experience to another level by getting... Read more
Last week, just before Spring Break season kicked off, the US Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs... Read more