- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Puerto Vallarta, 5th Edition
At a Glance
- wonderful views
- tranquil setting on a huge, tree-studded property
- gifted body workers and yoga teachers
- no Wi-Fi access
- cab ride from Sayulita
- limited cell phone coverage
Check Rates from our Partners
Haramara Retreat Review
Mind-blowing views and acres of trees are yours, as well as blissful breezes off the Pacific Ocean, at this oasis of tranquility just south of Sayulita. Originally a retreat for yoga groups only, Haramara—which means "Grandmother Sea" in the Huichol language—is now open to individual travelers. With its own private beach and several large pergolas for meditation, Haramara is a wonderful venue for a rejuvenating vacation away from phones, television, and (gasp!) cyberspace. Included in the price are three healthful meals at the ocean-view restaurant, which specializes in vegetarian cuisine but offers seafood as well. Vegans and those with food allergies or other dietary requirements are accommodated. Expert body workers give several types of massage, and private yoga lessons are available, as are surfing lessons and surf safaris. A packed dirt path lead up and down the hilly, 12-acre property to thatch-roofed bungalows that open to the sea breezes. The showers also are open-sided so you can admire the views as you bathe. Comfortable beds are surrounded by mosquito netting; hardwood floors, bamboo siding, and thatch roofs complete the Robinson Crusoe feel of the place.
- Address: Off paved road from Sayulita to Punta de Mita, about 2½ km (1½ mi) off Carretera 200, Playa Escondida, Puerto Vallarta, 63732
- Phone: 329/291–3558
- Website: www.haramararetreat.com
- Location: Puerto Vallarta
- 15 bungalows, 1 dorm-style room.
- Rate includes all meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Oaxaca is a most interesting city & area.
I arrived 3 days before my apartment was available due to a change of plans. I had planned on taking the bus down the coast to Puerto Escondido via Acapulco Read more
My husband and I were in Oaxaca for a week in early March. We are a couple who are 38 and 40 from New York, who love to travel independently. We've only been to Guatemala and Peru previously, Read more
Hi everyone, would love you r opinon on whether this is too much for the short amount of time for a couple in their late 20s who like culture, history, FOOD, jungle/nature/beaches. Read more
· News & Features
A getaway over Martin Luther King, Jr., weekend (January 17–20, 2014) proposes the perfect remedy ... Read more
When it comes to Riviera Nayarit, our advice is go now before the crowds take over.... Read more
While family trips to the zoo can be fun, we recommend taking the experience to another level by getting... Read more