Hiking in Puerto Vallarta
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The coastal fringe and the hills behind Vallarta—with streams and rivers heading down from the mountains—are beautiful areas for exploring, but few tour operators have hiking and walking trips. If you plan an impromptu exploration, it's best to take along a local familiar with the area.
Some of the biking tour operators will lead hiking outings as well, if you ask.
Ecotours. Its three-hour hike around El Nogalito River ($60) includes a pit stop at a rocky, waterfall-fed pool for a dip. En route to either you'll see a small number of birds, butterflies, and tropical plants. Ignacio L. Vallarta 243, Col. E. Zapata, Puerto Vallarta, 48380. 322/223-3130 or 322/222-6606. www.ecotoursvallarta.com..
Vallarta Adventures is one of PV's most respected tour operators and offers sea and land adventures; a particularly wonderful tour combines round-trip air transportation to the highlands with a visit to the former mining town of San Sebastián. Paseo de las Palmas 39–A, Nuevo Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta, 63735. 322/297–1212; 888/303–2653 in U.S. and Canada. www.vallarta-adventures.com. Edifício Marina Golf, Local 13–C, Calle Mástil, Marina Vallarta, 48354. 322/221–0657.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe