- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
Aeropuerto Puerto Escondido (PXM) is a 10-minute taxi ride from town; most flights from the States connect in Mexico City. You can fly direct from Oaxaca City, but it's usually pretty pricey.
Direct bus service from Oaxaca City is available on several first-class lines. ADO has several first-class buses per day leaving from Oaxaca's first-class bus terminal. Estrella del Valle has buses leaving from Oaxaca City to Puerto Escondido about four or five times daily.
If you drive from Oaxaca City, there are two routes. The most direct is Carretera 131 (which turns off Carretera 175 south of Oaxaca City) and goes straight to Puerto Escondido (6½-7 hours). However, it's a winding, narrow, two-lane road. Alternatively, you can take slightly less hair-raising Carretera 190 to Salina Cruz, where you pick up Carretera 200 to Puerto Escondido (8-9 hours). Don't drive either route at night.
Taxis in Puerto Escondido start at $2 for a ride from one end of town to another (say, from the Adoquín to Fraccionamiento Bacocho). Renting a car isn't necessary unless you want to explore beaches outside of town. It can be difficult to find a car, as the major agencies aren't well represented. Ask your hotel if it can arrange a rental.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $159 -- 4-Star Cabo Resort incl. Breakfast, 35% Off The Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos