- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Puerto Escondido was the first beach resort on the carretera costera (coastal highway), and it remains the most popular. Playa Zicatela is famous for its waves, drawing surfers from around the world. A few ritzier cliff-top hotels have brought in more of the older set, but the steady presence of the surfing community means that even as the town continues to gentrify, it maintains a relaxed, hippie-ish vibe.
Beyond Zicatela's beachfront bars and dreadlocked denizens there are marvelous swimming beaches to the west that are popular with Mexican families. Several nearby nature preserves and a few coffee farms provide the best day-tripping opportunities, as there isn't much else in these parts besides beaches, beaches, and more beaches.
El Adoquín, the part of Avenida Pérez Gasga that's reserved for pedestrians, runs right through the center of the town. This area is most popular with Mexican families. You'll find plenty of inexpensive shops, restaurants, and hotels along the four blocks.
Northwest of El Adoquín, overlooking the sea from atop adobe-color cliffs, are the Carrizalillo, La Rinconada, and Bacocho neighborhoods. These are the most up-and-coming areas of Puerto Escondido, but for now they're still quiet, and the people who stay here like it that way. The hotels, most of them upscale, cater to families.
Along Boulevard Benito Juárez are some of the town's best restaurants. Oh, and if you were wondering why this street is as wide as a runway, it used to be the airport.
Puerto Escondido at a Glance
- Laguna de Manialtepec
- Laguna de Ventanilla
- Parque Nacional Laguna Chacahua
- Playa Bacocho
- Playa Carrizalillo
- Playa Manzanillo
Elsewhere in Oaxaca
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $159 -- 4-Star Cabo Resort incl. Breakfast, 35% Off The Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos