- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Eagle rays, green moray eels, and, in winter, gray whales are frequently spotted in 13 different dive sites near Huatulco. The average price for area dives is $45 for a one-tank dive, $75 for two tanks.
Buceo Sotavento is operated by PADI-certified instructor Hector Lara Ocampo, who has been diving in the area for years. He offers dives, scuba certifications, snorkeling tours, and rafting trips, and he has an expertise in local fauna that can't be beat. A two-tank dive costs about $85. Flamboyant 310, Plaza Oaxaca Local 18, La Crucecita, Bahias de Huatulco, Oaxaca, 70989. 958/587-2166.
The PADI-certified dive masters at Hurricane Divers are well regarded and specialize in services including equipment repair, diving certification, and safety courses. Night dives and multiple-day packages are also available, as well as snorkeling trips; note that they are closed on Sunday. Bahia Santa Cruz, Bahias de Huatulco, Oaxaca, 70989. 958/587-1107. www.hurricanedivers.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe