- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Although Mexico (in particular, Mexico City) was the epicenter of the early 2009 H1N1 outbreak, the health alerts were lowered and things returned to normal by May. Ultimately there were more cases of and deaths from swine flu in the United States than in Mexico—or anywhere else. By June the only signs of Mexico City's flu scare were the occasional citizen wearing a mask and the antibacterial dispensers at some attractions and restaurants all over town.
To help people feel more comfortable, however, in July 2009 tourism officials implemented a plan whereby visitors to the capital receive health-insurance coverage on check-in at any Mexico City hotel.
Truth be told, the city's elevation and its air quality should be more of a concern to you. Initially the change in elevation may affect your breathing, sleep patterns, digestion, and alcohol tolerance. Take it easy, drink lots of water, and lay off the cocktails.
Several government initiatives have improved Mexico City's air quality. Still, if you have respiratory problems, avoid walking along busy streets during rush hour. The smog is heaviest from mid-November through January, and lightest in September and October.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $179 -- 5-Star Award-Winning Hotel in Mexico City, Reg. $399 JW Marriott Hotel Mexico City
- $159 -- 4-Star Cabo Resort incl. Breakfast, 35% Off The Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos
- $499 & up -- Cancun: All-Inclusive Beachfront Getaways w/Air Vacation Express
- $399 & up -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Beach Escapes w/Air — $399 Vacation Express
- $899 -- Luxe Puerto Vallarta All-Incl. Trip w/Air, Save $820 — $899 Apple Vacations