- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Mexico City's well-publicized kidnappings have generally targeted the Mexican power elite; the average tourist isn't likely to be a victim of this type of crime. Authorities have been cracking down on taxi robberies, but policing an estimated 100,000 cabs is no easy feat. The first rule of Mexico City is never hail a taxi on the street, from a tourist attraction, or with your debit card in your pocket. Choose the sitio (stationed) cabs that operate out of stands or cabs called for by hotel or restaurant staff. The government is also phasing out VW Beetle taxis since four-door vehicles are seen as a safer option (the driver cannot access backseat passengers as easily). Avoid the two-door taxis still in service.
The Zócalo has undergone major changes, including rigorous trash pickup, a ban (sadly) on vendors and street food in the core, lots of guards, and in some places, security cameras. Major tourist areas are generally safe, but petty theft is pervasive. Pickpockets are brazen and unbelievably skilled. Recognize that Mexico City is formal, so things like big cameras, backpacks, shorts, and sandals will make you stand out.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $149 -- Luxe All-Inclusive Cancun Resort, Reg. $257 BookIt.com
- $103-$131 -- Cancun Oceanfront All-Inclusive Resort, 35% Off BookIt.com
- $519 & up -- All-Incl. 4-Star Riviera Maya Resort w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $499 & up -- 7-Night Caribbean Cruise, Save $520 Norwegian Cruise Line
- $99-$109 -- Puerto Vallarta: Luxe All-Incl. Resort, Save 55% — $99-$109 BookIt.com