- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Palacio de Bellas Artes
Palacio de Bellas Artes Review
Construction on this colossal white-marble opera house was begun in 1904 by Porfirio Díaz, who wanted to add yet another ornamental building to his accomplishments. The striking structure is the work of Italian Adamo Boari, who also designed the post office; pre-Hispanic motifs trim the art deco facade. In fact, Boari was only present during the construction of the facade. The Revolution brought about an economic crisis, and he left the country in 1916. The opera house was not inaugurated until 1934. Inside the concert hall a Tiffany stained-glass curtain depicts the two volcanoes outside Mexico City. For an entrance fee you can see the interior, with its paintings by several celebrated Mexican artists, including Rufino Tamayo and Mexico's most famous trio of muralists: Rivera, Orozco, and Siqueiros. There are interesting temporary art exhibitions as well, plus an elegant cafeteria and a bookshop with a great selection of art books and magazines. Note that when there's no exhibition at the museum, the entry is free, and it's still worth a visit to see both the murals and the building itself.
- Address: Eje Central Lázaro Cárdenas and Av. Juárez, Alameda Central, Mexico City, 06050 | Map It
- Phone: 55/5512–2593
- Cost: Free (except for temporary exhibitions; fees vary)
- Hours: Tues.–Sun. 10–5:45; cafeteria 11–8
- Website: www.bellasartes.gob.mx
- Metro Bellas Artes.
- Location: Centro Histórico and Alameda Central
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
While I have not yet received the pics of the Stripped Marlin I caught in Cabo - the one who jumped completely out of the water at least 8 times (looked like a Rainbow Trout it was so agile - but hey - Read more
hola mi amigos- Just returned from 10 glorious days in my beloved Puerto Vallarta, so here is my new thread for this most recent trip.
The weather was HOT, from 82-87 degree range but hit 95 at couple Read more
My husband & I are flying into Cancun in January, 2014, for a 10 day stay at a condo on the beach in Akumal. Read more
· News & Features
Visitors in the know about Disney's new parks system are sure to experience a much smoother vacation tha ... Read more
Mexico City's art scene is vibrant, solid, and ever-flourishing.... Read more
Last week, JW Marriott Hanoi debuted in Hanoi, Vietnam, following in the footsteps of two other JW Marrio... Read more