The city museum is on land that was originally owned by Juan Gutiérrez de Altamirano, Cortés's cousin. The original building was destroyed and rebuilt in 1777, and later became home to the Campeche native Joaquín Clausell (1866–1935), who arrived in Mexico City to study law, but never finished his degree because he was expatriated to Europe for his opposition to the government. While in Europe, he learned to paint, and became one of the most important impressionist
painters in Mexican history. The museum displays historical objects from Mexico City, including antique maps. Clausell's studio is also open to the public, and its walls are covered with his work.