- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Jardín Centenario Review
The Centenary Gardens are barely separated from the Plaza Hidalgo (aka Jardín Hidalgo) by a narrow slow-moving road; both squares are referred to as Coyoacán's zócalo. The Jardín, with its shading trees, a fountain with two snarling coyotes, and a fringe of outdoor cafés, is the place to sit and people-watch.
The larger Plaza Hidalgo hosts children's fun fairs, amateur musical and dance performances, clowns, bubble blowers, cotton candy, and balloon sellers on weekends and national holidays. It's studded with an ornate old bandstand and the impressive Templo de San Juan Bautista, one of the first churches to be built in New Spain. It was completed in 1582, and its door has a baroque arch. On the afternoon of September 15, before the crowds become suffocating at nightfall, this delightful neighborhood zócalo is probably the best place in the capital to enjoy Independence Day celebrations.
- Address: Bounded by Calle Centenario, Av. Hidalgo, and Caballo Calco, Coyoacán, Mexico City, 04000
- Metro Viveros.
- Location: San Angel and Coyoacán
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79-$85 -- Riviera Maya 4-Star All-Inclusive Resort, 55% Off BookIt.com
- $149-$156 -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Resort w/Spa Credit BookIt.com
- $669 & up -- Cabo All-Inclusive 5-Night Trip w/Air, $200 Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $109-$139 -- Puerto Vallarta 4-Star All-Incl. Family Resort — $109-$139 BookIt.com
- $479 & up -- Cancun All-Incl. Resort w/Air, Kids Stay Free — $479 CheapCaribbean.com
Costa Azul surf break also known as “Zippers” is known for its fast waves for the more advanced surfer. Read more
Arrived on direct flight from Denver, luckily it was an easy travel day. Read more
Hello, I really want to go down to either Isla Mujeres or Cozumel or Playa del Carmen to swim and snorkel. Read more
· News & Features
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Steinbeck said it well—no matter how many plans you make, its the destination that scoops you up... Read more