- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Estero Beach and Punta Banda (en route to La Bufadora, south of Ensenada) are both good kayaking areas, although facilities are limited. A limited selection of water-sports equipment is available at the Estero Beach Resort.
San Miguel Surf Shop. Some of the best surf on the coast is found off Islas de Todos Santos, two islands about 19 km (12 mi) west of Ensenada. Only the boldest challenge the waves here, which can reach 30 feet in winter. Surfers must hire a boat to take them to the waves. For calmer waves that can still pack a punch (good for those who've got a grom—kiddie surfer—in tow) head to the beaches at San Miguel, Tres Marías, and Salsipuedes. San Miguel Surf Shop is the unofficial local surfing headquarters. Staff can guide you toward the best areas and to gear rental. Av. López Mateos 560, at Av. Ruíz, Centro, Ensenada, Baja California Norte, 22800. 646/178–1007.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe