Diving and Snorkeling in Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Diving and Snorkeling
More than 30 dive sites in the area range from deep canyons to shallow reefs. The waters teem with sea life, and visibility is generally excellent.
Experienced, personable PADI dive masters run trips ($65 for one tank, $100 for two) and teach courses at Carlo Scuba. Playa las Gatas, Zihuatanejo, 40880. 755/554-6003. www.carloscuba.com.
El Vigia rents snorkel gear and arranges boat trips to snorkel spots at Isla Ixtapa or Playa Manzanillo, about an hour's ride south. South end of Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, 40880. No phone.
Nautilus Divers is operated by students of famed local NAUI master diver and marine biologist Juan Barnard. They run one- and two-tank dives and night dives ($65, $75, and $60, respectively), as well as six-day certification courses. Calle Juan N. Alvarez 30, Zihuatanejo, 40880. 755/544-6666. www.nautilus-divers.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe