Surrounded by a forest, these temples make up Cozumel's largest remaining Mayan and Toltec site. San Gervasio was the island's capital and ceremonial center, dedicated to the fertility goddess Ixchel. The classic- and postclassic-style buildings and temples were continuously occupied from AD 300 to 1500. Typical architectural features include limestone plazas and arches atop stepped platforms, as well as stelae and bas-reliefs. Be sure to see the temple "Las Manitas,"
with red handprints all over its altar. Plaques in Mayan, Spanish, and English clearly describe each structure.
Off Carretera Transversal, Cozumel, Quintana Roo, 77600, Mexico