Fishing in Cozumel
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The waters off Cozumel teem with more than 230 species of fish, making this one of the world's best deep-sea fishing destinations. During billfish migration season from late April through June, blue marlin, white marlin, and sailfish are plentiful and world-record catches aren't uncommon.
Most sportfishing boats are located in the Puerto Abrigo marina just north of San Miguel. Fishing boats are also located at La Caleta, the marina on the south side, beside the Presidente InterContinental resort. At this writing, La Caleta was being refurbished. Most sportfishing companies are affiliated with dive shops and offer a full range of water activities.
You can charter high-speed fishing boats for about $420 per half day or $600 per day (with a maximum of six people). Hotels can help arrange daily charters—some offer special deals, with boats leaving from their own docks.
Albatros Deep Sea Fishing. Albatros Deep Sea Fishing offers half- and full-day trips that include boat and crew, tackle and bait, and lunch (quesadillas or your own fresh catch) with beer and soda starting at $420 for up to six people. Puerto Abrigo Marina, Cozumel, Quintana Roo. 987/872-7904; 888/333-4643 toll-free in the U.S. and Canada. www.albatroscharters.com.
Ocean Tours. All equipment and tackle, lunch with beer, and of course the boat and crew are included in the norther hotel zone's Ocean Tours' full-day rates, which start at $650, half-day tours start at $440. Discounts for cash payments. Cozumeleno Beach Resort, Playa Santa Pilar s/n, North Hotel Zone, KM 4.5, Cozumel, Quintana Roo, 77600. 987/872-9530 Ext. 8. www.cozumel-diving.net/oceantur/.
3 Hermanos. This oufit specializes in deep-sea and fly-fishing trips, with rates for a half-day deep-sea fishing trip starting at $350 (a full day runs $450). The company also offers scuba-diving trips, and their boats are available for group charters—a great way to snorkel and cruise at your own pace—for $400 for up to six passengers. Puerto Abrigo Marina, Cozumel, Quintana Roo. 987/107-0655. www.cozumelfishing.com.
Sand Dollar Sports. Sand Dollar Sports does it all. From bottom-fishing to deep-sea fishing trips, as well as America's Cup regatta races and scuba and snorkeling trips, this outfit can satisfy all of your over- and underwater needs. Carretera Sur, Km 6.2, Cozumel, Quintana Roo, 77600. 987/872-0793. www.sanddollarsports.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $180-$187 -- Los Cabos Beach All-Incl. Resort incl. Weekends Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
- $133 -- 4-Star Cabo All-Inclusive Resort incl. Weekends Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
- $519 & up -- All-Incl. 4-Star Riviera Maya Resort w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $499 -- New Ship to Cozumel on 6-Night Cruise MSC Cruises
- $92 -- Cabo: All-Inclusive Beachfront Resort, Save 50% — $92 Hotel Riu Sante Fe