- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
The region has airports in every major city, but they mostly handle domestic flights. If you want to fly here from the United States, your best bets are the daily flights between Houston and Tuxtla Gutiérrez on Continental Express. Otherwise you're going to connect in Mexico City or another hub. Aeropuerto San Cristóbal, 15 km (9 mi) northwest of downtown, receives no commerical air traffic. ADO GL buses travel between San Cristóbal and Tuxtla many times a day; travel time is just under two hours. Chiapas is a big state, but there are few major highways. Carretera 190 goes east from Tuxtla through Chiapa de Corzo to San Cristóbal before continuing southeast to the Guatamalan border. There is, however, a brand-new toll road that links Tuxtla and San Cristóbal—it's a much quicker alternative to 190.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's