- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Palenque Town's days as a sleepy little village are far behind. Locals have obliged the needs of travelers in search of the ruins at Palenque, Bonampak, and Yaxchilán by opening a string of restaurants and lodgings on and around Avenida Juárez, the main thoroughfare, and along La Cañada, a popular tourist destination west of downtown. Although Palenque is not a really cute place, it's colorful enough, with cinder-block buildings gussied up in coats of vivid yellow, orange, and blue paint. You can listen to a marimba band in the square or buy a sugary pastry from a vendor on a bicycle.
Palenque Town at a Glance
Elsewhere in Chiapas and Tabasco
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's