- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
If you're traveling from San Cristóbal de las Casas, follow the signs that read "Palenque Ocosingo" along Carretera 190. Around km 12 (7 mi) in Rancho Nuevo, take the Carrertera 199 for 76 km (47 mi). Allow a little over an hour and a half for this trip.
ADO GL buses leave the San Cristóbal de las Casas station about four times a day, around every three hours. The trip costs around $4, and takes about 2 hours and 10 minutes.
Ocosingo is primarily a market town, which is evident when you head to the market area called the Tianguis Campesino (2 Av. Sur Oriente and 4 Calle Oriente Sur—Ocosingo's addresses will make your brain dizzy). Brightly dressed Tzeltal and Lacandón women from the surrounding villages kneel on the ground or sit on tiny stools to sell vegetables and fruits from their gardens. Negotiations are often in whispers, making it one of the quietest markets you'll encounter.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $80 -- Wyndham Cabo San Lucas Resort, Incl. 25% Meals CheapCaribbean.com
- $115-$149 -- Cancun: 4-Star Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun
- $599 & up -- All-Incl. Riviera Maya Adult-Only Resort w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $499 -- New Ship to Cozumel on 6-Night Cruise MSC Cruises
- $3.42 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com