Chiapas and Tabasco Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Taking in mist-covered ruins: Much of the enormous complex of Palenque has yet to be excavated, so you can see how thoroughly the jungle claimed them.
A pleasant stay in a little-visited colonial town: Lovely colonial architecture, the excellent Museo Na Bolom, and nearby San Juan Chamula make San Cristóbal de las Casas an important stop.
An exotic boat trip: Go by water up the Río Usumacinta to see the Mayan city of Yaxchilán surrounded by magnificent 100-year-old ceiba trees.
The chance to see a breathtaking canyon: Cliffs rise to 3,500 feet at their highest point in the Cañón del Sumidero.
Convening with history: Wander through the trees around massive stone heads left behind by the Olmecs at the Parque-Museo La Venta.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe