- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
Six-hour guided tours from Palenque, which include visits to Agua Azul and Misol-Há, cost about $10 per person. This is generally considered the safest way to travel in the area, because this is a curvy, mountainous road, and occasionally people stationed along the highway stop cars, and even ask for change.
Following signs on Carretera 199 that read "Palenque," travel about 51 km (31.5 mi) northeast of Ocosingo to get to Agua Azul; the town is about 40 km (25 mi) before Palenque.
There's no public transportation to Agua Azul, but taxis from Ocosingo—it's difficult to get a taxi in Toniná—run about $40 round-trip.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's