Chiapas and Tabasco Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Los Cabos
Chiapas is Mexico's southernmost state. And if the villages here resemble those of the Guatemalan Highlands, it's because Guatemala lies just beyond the eastern border. To the west lies Oaxaca, and to the south is one of Mexico's last stretches of relatively undeveloped coastline. Inland, mountain roads are full of hairpin turns hugging the edges of ravines. To the north is the mostly flat, pastoral state of Tabasco.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Chiapas and Tabasco restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Chiapas and Tabasco
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Book 3 Nts in Villahermosa this May Fr $62+/Nt Expedia
- Save in Villahermosa: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $113+/Nt Expedia
- Save in Villahermosa: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $154+/Nt — $154 Expedia
- Villahermosa Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $83+/Nt — $83 Save with Expedia, $67/night less
- May deal: Quality Inn Villahermosa Cencali Fr $100+/Nt — $100 Expedia
Taking in mist-covered ruins: Much of the enormous complex of Palenque has yet to be excavated, so you can see how thoroughly the jungle claimed... Read more
In the early hours of January 1, 1994, while most of Mexico was sleeping off the New Year's festivities, the Zapatista National Liberation Army... Read more
As early as 1000 BC, Chiapas was in the domain of the Maya, along with Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, and much of Mexico. The Maya controlled the... Read more
The weavers of Chiapas produce striking embroidered blouses, huipiles, bedspreads, and tablecloths. Other artisans create leather goods, homemade... Read more
In Chiapas you'll still find remote clusters of grass-roofed huts and cornfields planted on near-vertical hillsides. Things haven't changed much... Read more
Worried about your rights as a cruise ship passenger?... Read more
They say that if you put it in a tortilla, Los Angeles will eat it.... Read more
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Now93° F Scattered Clouds 52% Humidity May 25, 2013 at 3:40PM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
How to get a healthful life ? Read more
Arrived on direct flight from Denver, luckily it was an easy travel day. Read more