- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Banks and Currency Exchange
There are no banks or ATMs in or near Xcalak, and because there are no phone lines, no one accepts credit cards. Bring plenty of cash for your entire stay. The closest ATMs are 64 km (40 miles) north in Majahual, though they often run out of money. Another option is to try one of the ATMs in the village of Bacalar.
No phones, no cell service—plan on being out of touch, or doing as the locals do and using email or Skype.
Xcalak's growing expat community includes several nurses, who are always willing to help. There's a small clinic in the center of town, however, the "medic" (not always a doctor) is seldom around. Usually, a local can point you in the right direction for rudimentary first aid until you can reach the nearest staffed clinic in Bacalar. The closest small hospital (Carranza Clinic) is in Chetumal.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe