Caribbean Coast Restaurants
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Caribbean Coast Restaurant Reviews
Restaurants here vary from quirky beachside affairs with outdoor tables and palapas to more-elaborate and sophisticated establishments. Dress is casual at most places, so leave your tie and jacket at home. Smaller cafés and fish eateries may not accept credit cards or traveler's checks, especially in remote beach villages. Bigger establishments and those in hotels normally accept plastic. Many restaurants add propinas (tips) to the bill; look for a charge for servicio. If tips aren't included, a 15% gratuity is standard. It's best to order fresh local fish—grouper, dorado, red snapper, and sea bass—rather than shellfish like shrimp, lobster, and oysters, since the latter are often flown in frozen from the Gulf. Playa del Carmen has the largest selection of restaurants.
Browse Caribbean Coast Restaurants
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's