- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Sleepy Majahual has something of a split personality. With a population of just 300, it's a quiet, tiny little beachfront town with clear, calm waters, good snorkeling and diving, and not a whole lot to do. That's just the way its Mexican and expat U.S. and Canadian residents like it.
When the cruise ships are in port, however, the dozy town gets a locally unwelcome shot in the arm. Cruise passengers flood its beachfront palapa restaurants and crowd the new cement beach boardwalk that fronts the town's few blocks; it's lively, but can be overwhelming. That's when locals and savvy overnight visitors retreat to the handful of delightfully remote beachfront hotels and inns on Majahual's outskirts, waiting out the crowds in a hammock, beach book in hand.
Majahual at a Glance
Elsewhere in Caribbean Coast
- Felipe Carrillo Puerto
- Playa del Carmen
- Playa del Secreto
- Puerto Aventuras
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book the Explorean Kohunlich 3 Nts in May Fr $383+/Nt Save with Expedia, $255/night less
- Book 3-Star Holiday Inn Chetumal Puerta Maya Fr $84+/Nt Expedia