- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Felipe Carrillo Puerto
Felipe Carrillo Puerto—the Costa Maya's first major town—is named for the governor of Yucatán in 1920, who was hailed as a hero after instituting a series of reforms to help the impoverished campesinos (peasants). Although the town itself is of the muddy one-horse variety with little of visitor interest, Chacchoben, a little-explored archaeological site, isn't far.
Felipe Carrillo Puerto at a Glance
Elsewhere in Caribbean Coast
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's