Caribbean Coast Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to the Caribbean Coast
Visiting Mayan ruins with a Caribbean view: The ruins at Tulum, only an hour south of Playa del Carmen, are a dramatic remnant of a sophisticated pre-Columbian people with an eye for real estate—the site overlooks the Caribbean, in one of Mexico's classic postcard views.
Casting for bonefish: These elusive shallows-dwellers, off the Chinchorro Reef near the Reserva de la Biosfera Sian Ka'an, can match wits with even the most seasoned fly-fisher.
Relaxing at a spa: The Riviera Maya is flush with luxurious spa resorts to indulge your every whim, and then some.
Snorkeling with parrot fish and spotted eagle rays: The turquoise waters of the Puerto Morelos Maritime National Park, just off the Yucatán's east coast, are teeming with protected marine life.
Exploring the inland jungle: South of Rio Bec, you might glimpse howler monkeys, coatimundis, and Yucatán parrots in the thick, unspoiled forest.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Special deal: 3-Star Holiday Inn Chetumal Puerta Maya Fr $84+/Nt Expedia
- Chetumal Savings! Book at Explorean Kohunlich Fr $383+/Nt Save with Expedia, $255/night less