Caribbean Coast Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to the Caribbean Coast
Visiting Mayan ruins with a Caribbean view: The ruins at Tulum, only an hour south of Playa del Carmen, are a dramatic remnant of a sophisticated pre-Columbian people with an eye for real estate—the site overlooks the Caribbean, in one of Mexico's classic postcard views.
Casting for bonefish: These elusive shallows-dwellers, off the Chinchorro Reef near the Reserva de la Biosfera Sian Ka'an, can match wits with even the most seasoned fly-fisher.
Relaxing at a spa: The Riviera Maya is flush with luxurious spa resorts to indulge your every whim, and then some.
Snorkeling with parrot fish and spotted eagle rays: The turquoise waters of the Puerto Morelos Maritime National Park, just off the Yucatán's east coast, are teeming with protected marine life.
Exploring the inland jungle: South of Rio Bec, you might glimpse howler monkeys, coatimundis, and Yucatán parrots in the thick, unspoiled forest.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's