- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Cancun and the Riviera Maya 2014
Excellence Playa Mujeres
At a Glance
- beautifully sculpted grounds
- relaxation spa
- repetitive restaurant menus
- far removed from activity outside resort
- no children under 18
Check Rates from our Partners
Excellence Playa Mujeres Review
North of mainland Cancún, this adults-only resort has redefined the all-inclusive concept. Gone are the days of wristbands and cheap alcohol, and in their place are two-story suites, each with a private terrace and hydro pool. Upon arrival, guests are greeted curbside with champagne and refreshing towels, fragranced with a hint of lavender. In the lobby, onyx pillars jet from two-toned marble floors, overshadowed only by a massive stained-glass ceiling illuminated from above. Every room has a terrace and hot tub. Included in the nine international restaurants are a sushi bar, lobster house, and New York–style deli. Reminiscent of a Greek temple, the wellness spa features private relaxation rooms, heated waterbeds, and a 12-step hydrotherapy circuit. Dotting the seven swimming pools are hammocks and palapas, and a man-made river winds throughout the entire property. For those seeking a break from the sun, there are classes available in cooking, Spanish language, dancing, archery, and air-rifle shooting. Attached to the hotel grounds are an 18-hole golf course and a junglelike habitat housing local wildlife. As if that weren't enough, the hotel offers sunset excursions on its private yacht. Although Hotel Excellence bills itself as being in Playa Mujeres, it's actually in the town of Punta Sam. It's a 15-minute drive from Cancún's El Centro proper, and 30 minutes from the heart of the Zona Hotelera.
- Address: Prolongacíon Bonampak s/n, Punta Sam, Lote Terrenos 001, Mza 001, Sm 003 Zona Continental de Isla Mujeres, Cancún, Quintana Roo 77400 | Map It
- Phone: 866/540–2585 toll-free in U.S.; 998/872–8600
- Website: www.excellence-resorts.com
- Location: Punta Sam
- 450 rooms.
- Rate includes all-inclusive.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Oaxaca is a most interesting city & area.
I arrived 3 days before my apartment was available due to a change of plans. I had planned on taking the bus down the coast to Puerto Escondido via Acapulco Read more
My husband and I were in Oaxaca for a week in early March. We are a couple who are 38 and 40 from New York, who love to travel independently. We've only been to Guatemala and Peru previously, Read more
We are planning a trip to PdC for the end of May and looking to rent a condo at Corto Maltes. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more