- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Excellence Playa Mujeres
At a Glance
- beautifully sculpted grounds
- relaxation spa
- repetitive restaurant menus
- far removed from activity outside resort
- no children under 18
Check Rates from our Partners
Excellence Playa Mujeres Review
North of mainland Cancún, this adults-only resort has redefined the all-inclusive concept. Gone are the days of wristbands and cheap alcohol, and in their place are two-story suites, each with a private terrace and hydro pool. Upon arrival, guests are greeted curbside with champagne and refreshing towels, fragranced with a hint of lavender. In the lobby, onyx pillars jet from two-toned marble floors, overshadowed only by a massive stained-glass ceiling illuminated from above. Every room has a terrace and hot tub. Included in the nine international restaurants are a sushi bar, lobster house, and New York–style deli. Reminiscent of a Greek temple, the wellness spa features private relaxation rooms, heated waterbeds, and a 12-step hydrotherapy circuit. Dotting the seven swimming pools are hammocks and palapas, and a man-made river winds throughout the entire property. For those seeking a break from the sun, there are classes available in cooking, Spanish language, dancing, archery, and air-rifle shooting. Attached to the hotel grounds are an 18-hole golf course and a junglelike habitat housing local wildlife. As if that weren't enough, the hotel offers sunset excursions on its private yacht. Although Hotel Excellence bills itself as being in Playa Mujeres, it's actually in the town of Punta Sam. It's a 15-minute drive from Cancún's El Centro proper, and 30 minutes from the heart of the Zona Hotelera.
- Address: Prolongacíon Bonampak s/n, Punta Sam, Lote Terrenos 001, Mza 001, Sm 003 Zona Continental de Isla Mujeres, Cancún, Quintana Roo 77400 | Map It
- Phone: 866/540–2585 toll-free in U.S.; 998/872–8600
- Website: www.excellence-resorts.com
- Location: Punta Sam
- 450 rooms.
- Rate includes all-inclusive.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
While I have not yet received the pics of the Stripped Marlin I caught in Cabo - the one who jumped completely out of the water at least 8 times (looked like a Rainbow Trout it was so agile - but hey - Read more
hola mi amigos- Just returned from 10 glorious days in my beloved Puerto Vallarta, so here is my new thread for this most recent trip.
The weather was HOT, from 82-87 degree range but hit 95 at couple Read more
I am off to the Puebla Bonita Pacifico Resort for a week and am wondering if there is anything interesting to do in the environs. Read more
· News & Features
From milk and cookies to a full-on Christmas tree (with the option to decorate it yourself), hotels are... Read more
As 2013 comes to a close, there's no slowing down for the Bay Area's restaurant scene.... Read more
Visit the mysterious Land of the Golden Pagodas—Myanmar—with AmaWaterways, starting in Novembe... Read more