- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's Cancun and the Riviera Maya 2014
Playa Tortugas Review
Playa Tortugas (Turtle Beach) eroded greatly after Hurricane Wilma. There's now a restored sandbank at the entrance around Km 6.5 on Boulevard Kukulcán. The water is deep and the swimming is excellent, so many people come here to sail, snorkel, kayak, paraglide, and ride Wave Runners. The nicest section of this beach is on the far right, just past the rocks. The sand can get very crowded, especially because this is where people usually grab a drink or snack before catching the ferry to Isla Mujeres. Locals from El Centro will spend their entire weekend here, so if you are looking for isolation, it's best to head elsewhere. Don't be fooled by the name—this spot is seldom frequented by tortugas. Amenities: food and drink; water sports. Best For: partiers; snorkeling; swimming.
- Address: Boulevard Kukulcán, Km 6.5, Zona Hotelera, Cancún, Quintana Roo 77500
- Location: Cancún
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just back from 5 days (Feb 13 -17) in Puerto Vallarta. Read more
Forty five minutes by good highway from Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo Airport is the small fishing village of Troncones which we think is almost perfect. Read more
Is there a place in the Cancun airport to buy a sim card for an unlocked phone to call within Mexico and to US?
Do I need a power adapter in Mexico? My adapters say North and South America. Read more
· News & Features
For ample beach time, minus the party scene, Cabo San Lucas is a bustling enclave with a marina, lots ... Read more
Author, conservationist, and TED Talk speaker Boyd Varty shares eight top places to visit in his native... Read more
This unattributed travel quote tells us why splurging on a trip is totally worth it.... Read more