Fishing in Cancún
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Some 500 species—including sailfish, wahoo, bluefin, marlin, barracuda, and red snapper—live in the waters off Cancún. You can charter deep-sea fishing boats starting at about $380 for four hours, $470 for six hours, and $550 for eight hours. Rates generally include a captain and first mate, gear, bait, and beverages.
Asterix Tours. With an emphasis on nature conservation, Asterix is the only tour company permitted to visit Isla Contoy and the underwater gardens of Isla Mujeres. Tours to Isla Contoy ($90 per person) depart at 9 am and return at 5:30 pm on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. They also offer nighttime "party fishing" trips that cost $78 per person and include dinner and drinks. Blvd. Kukulcán, Km 5.5, Zona Hotelera, Cancún, Quintana Roo, 77500. 998/886–4270. www.contoytours.com.
Fishing and Diving Combos
Scuba Cancún. Scuba Cancún also offers deep-sea fishing and diving. Prices are $550 for a four-hour fishing trip, $650 for six hours, and $800 for an eight-hour expedition. Blvd. Kukulcán, Km 5, Zona Hotelera, Cancún, Quintana Roo, 77500. 998/849–7508 or 998/849–4736. www.scubacancun.com.mx.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe