- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The 500,000-acre Reserva Ecológica El Edén, 48 km (30 miles) northwest of Cancún, is in the area known as Yalahau. The reserve was established by one of Mexico's leading naturalists, Arturo Gómez-Pompa, and his nephew, Marco Lazcano-Barrero, and is dedicated to research and conservation. It offers excursions for people interested in exploring wetlands, mangrove swamps, sand dunes, savannas, and tropical forests. Activities include bird-watching, animal-tracking, stargazing, and archaeology. You must call to make an appointment before you visit. Rates are $75 per person for a full-day visit. If you're not into roughing it, these trips aren't for you.
Eco Colors runs adventure tours to the wildlife reserves at Isla Holbox and Sian Ka'an, and to remote Mayan ruin sites. The company also offers bird-watching, kayaking, camping, and biking excursions around the peninsula. They operate day trips ($48-$130), three-day trips ($336-$400), and seven-day trips ($780-$1,500).
Eco Colors (Calle Camarón 32,
Reserva Ecológica El Edén (Teocaltiche 207, Sm 45, M4 L3,
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's