When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
When to Go
Like the American southwest, Baja California's weather is conducive to year-round travel, though "peak season" will have a different meaning for beach bums and marine-life enthusiasts. Lower altitudes tend to have higher temperatures. The deserts and sections of Baja Sur can be sweltering between May and October (most locals say that conditions start to improve around mid-October), and parts of the Pacific coast can necessitate sweaters or windbreakers between November and February. Cabo San Lucas and San José del Cabo are famous for nearly perfect year-round weather, but rainfall is highest in September.
Remember these annual events as you plan your trip:
Gray whales and migratory birds tend to travel to Baja California from December through April.
Most surfers recommend traveling in central and southern Baja during the summer months.
The best scuba and snorkeling conditions are reported in September and October.
Although fishing is possible all year-round, local experts consider the summer months the best time to hook a big one.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $80 -- Wyndham Cabo San Lucas Resort, Incl. 25% Meals CheapCaribbean.com
- $115-$149 -- Cancun: 4-Star Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun
- $599 & up -- All-Incl. Riviera Maya Adult-Only Resort w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $499 -- New Ship to Cozumel on 6-Night Cruise MSC Cruises
- $3.42 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com