- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Southern Californians use Rosarito (population 100,000) as a weekend getaway, and during school vacations, especially spring break, the crowd becomes one big raucous party. Off-season, the place becomes a ghost town, which is arguably even less appealing than the frat scene.The beach, which stretches from the power plant at the north end of town about 8 km (5 mi) south, is long with beautiful sand and sunsets, but it's less romantic for the amateur explosives that boom every few minutes.
If you do wind up here for a night, head out to the wooden pier that stretches over the ocean in front of the Rosarito Beach Hotel, or hire a horse at the north or south end of Boulevard Benito Juárez for $10 per hour.
Rosarito at a Glance
Elsewhere in Baja Peninsula
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $80 -- Wyndham Cabo San Lucas Resort, Incl. 25% Meals CheapCaribbean.com
- $115-$149 -- Cancun: 4-Star Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun
- $599 & up -- All-Incl. Riviera Maya Adult-Only Resort w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $499 -- New Ship to Cozumel on 6-Night Cruise MSC Cruises
- $3.42 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com