- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fodor's See It Mexico, 3rd Edition
Catedral de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción
Catedral de Nuestra Señora de la Asunción Review
This cathedral is atop a hill one block south of Plaza Xicohténcatl. Its most unusual feature is its Moorish-style wood ceiling beams, carved and gilded with gold studs. There are only a few churches of this kind in Mexico, as Mudejar flourishes were popular here only during the really early years after the Spanish conquest. The austere monastery is home to the Museo Regional de Tlaxcala, which displays 16th- to 18th-century religious paintings as well as a small collection of pre-Columbian pieces. A beautiful outdoor chapel near the monastery has notable Moorish and Gothic traces.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Oaxaca is a most interesting city & area.
I arrived 3 days before my apartment was available due to a change of plans. I had planned on taking the bus down the coast to Puerto Escondido via Acapulco Read more
My husband and I were in Oaxaca for a week in early March. We are a couple who are 38 and 40 from New York, who love to travel independently. We've only been to Guatemala and Peru previously, Read more
We were thinking of going to Guanajuato end of May, June for two weeks. Read more
· News & Features
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more