- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The road to Cuernavaca will likely heighten your anticipation—you'll catch your first glimpse of the city's lush surroundings from a mountain highway, through lacy pine branches. Cuernavaca's perfect weather has made for stunning gardens. The Jardín Borda, where José de la Borda (who made his fortune in Taxco silver) died, is perhaps the most famous. It has been a private garden for centuries, and it is where Emperor Maximilian and his empress came to rest. It is now open to the public.
Undoubtedly, many of the best gardens lie behind high walls. And truth be told, Cuernavaca's growth in the last decade has weakened some of its tourist appeal. But the city still has much to recommend it. There are certainly enough museums, palaces, old churches, and other sites to see—many of them concentrated in the downtown area—to keep you busy.
Cuernavaca at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $80 -- Wyndham Cabo San Lucas Resort, Incl. 25% Meals CheapCaribbean.com
- $115-$149 -- Cancun: 4-Star Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off The Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun
- $599 & up -- All-Incl. Riviera Maya Adult-Only Resort w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $499 -- New Ship to Cozumel on 6-Night Cruise MSC Cruises
- $3.42 & up -- Car Rentals across Mexico CarRentals.com