Water Sports in Acapulco
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
You can arrange to water-ski, rent broncos (one-person Jet Skis), parasail, and windsurf at outfitters on the beaches. Parasailing is an Acapulco highlight developed here in the 1960s; a five-minute trip costs $60. Waterskiing is about $40 an hour; broncos cost $40-$95 for a half hour, depending on the size. You can arrange to windsurf at Playa Caleta and most beaches along the Costera, but the best place to actually do it is at Bahía Puerto Marqués. The main surfing beach is Revolcadero.
Although visibility isn't as good as in the Caribbean, scuba diving is an option. It's best from November through February, when the water is the most transparent. (In summer, from June through October, rains bring mud from the hills down the rivers and into the bay.) A Canadian warship was scuttled in the bay to make a diving trip more appealing.
Acapulco Scuba Center. The center leads four-hour snorkeling and scuba outings for beginners and certified divers. All tours include gear and round-trip transportation from your hotel, and cost $70 with lessons and lunch included; snorkeling costs $35. The center also arranges deep-sea fishing excursions. Paseo del Pescador 13 y 14, near zócalo, Old Acapulco, Acapulco, Guerrero, 39300. 744/482-9474. www.acapulcoscuba.com..
Shotover Jet. The Shotover Jet is a wild boat ride that's an import from the rivers around Queenstown, New Zealand. An air-conditioned bus takes you to the Pierre Marqués Lagoon, about 20 minutes from downtown Acapulco. Twelve-passenger boats provide thrilling 30-minute boat rides on the lagoon, complete with 360-degree turns—one of the Shotover Jet's trademarks—and vistas of local flora and fauna. The cost for the ride and transportation to and from the site is $45. For more thrills, from July through January, you can shoot the rapids on 1½- to 2-hour guided trips for $55; there's a four-person minimum. Centro Comercial Plaza Marbella, Local 17 and Av. Costera Miguel Aleman, Costera, Acapulco, Guerrero, 39670. 744/484-1154. www.shotoverjet.com.mx..
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $79-$85 -- Riviera Maya 4-Star All-Inclusive Resort, 55% Off BookIt.com
- $149-$156 -- Riviera Maya All-Inclusive Resort w/Spa Credit BookIt.com
- $669 & up -- Cabo All-Inclusive 5-Night Trip w/Air, $200 Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $109-$139 -- Puerto Vallarta 4-Star All-Incl. Family Resort — $109-$139 BookIt.com
- $499 & up -- Riviera Maya Resort & Marina All-Incl. w/Air — $499 CheapCaribbean.com