Fishing in Acapulco
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Fishing is what originally drew many of the early tourists to Acapulco, and it is still an abundant area. Billfish, striped marlin, pompano, bonito, red snapper, and tuna are in the ocean year-round; and carp, mullet, and catfish swim in the freshwater lagoons. You can arrange fishing trips through your hotel or at the Pesca Deportiva near the muelle (dock) across from the zócalo.
Acapulco Scuba Center is an excellent place to sign up for deep-sea fishing excursions. The center's 40-foot boats accommodate up to six passengers. Trips depart at 9 am, return at 2 pm, and cost $70 per person for scuba and $35 per person for snorkeling. Paseo del Pescador 13 and 14, near zocalo, Old Acapulco, Acapulco, Guerrero, 39300. 744/482-9474. www.acapulcoscuba.com.
We also recommend Fish-R-Us, which runs charter service for sailfish, tuna, and dorado fishing. Shared boats depart on Wednesday at 6 am. You can share a boat for $87 per person, with a maximum of six people, or rent a private yacht for $380 to $450 per day. Av. Costera Miguel Aleman 100, Fracc. Las Playas, Old Acapulco, Acapulco, Guerrero, 39300. 744/482-8282. www.fish-r-us.com.
For freshwater trips, try the companies along Laguna Coyuca. Boats accommodating 4–10 people cost $250–$500 a day, $45–$60 by chair. Excursions leave about 7 am and return at 1 pm or 2 pm. At the docks you can hire a boat for $40 a day (two lines). You must get a license ($12, depending on the season) from the Secretaría de Pesca; there's a representative at the dock, but note that the office is closed during siesta, between 2 and 4.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe