Western Honduras Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Top Reasons to Go
Ponder the mysteries of the Maya: Other Mayan ruins in Mesoamerica are bigger and taller, but none can top Copán for intricate artwork and few ruins complexes are as accessible as this one is.
Explore Honduras's colonial past: Spanish conquistadors made history in this region of Honduras, and the small colonial communities of Comayagua, Santa Rosa de Copán, Copán Ruinas, and Gracias evoke a distant past that much of the rest of the country has forgotten.
Bird to your heart's content: The Lago de Yojoa, in the center of the country, is Honduras's bird-watching venue par excellence, with your choice of almost 400 species to add to your life list.
Stay at a charming inn: You'll find the whole gamut of accommodation here in Western Honduras, but it's the colonial inns in Copán Ruinas, Comayagua, and Gracias that provide a distinctive lodging experience and transport you back to pre-independence Honduras.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's