Fodor's Honduras & the Bay Islands
Museo para la Identidad Nacional
Museo para la Identidad Nacional Review
The Museum of National Identity is a recent addition to the pantheon of downtown galleries and museums, and has established itself as one of Tegucigalpa's most rewarding attractions. A 19th-century building that served first as a hospital and then as the government's Palace of Ministries has been converted into the country's foremost museum of history—and the results are impressive. The second-floor installations take you through everything that has happened in Honduras from its geological formation up to the present day. (That includes not shying away from the 2009 political crisis.) A film entitled Copán Virtual is presented several times a day and guides you through the Mayan city's construction. It's a good introduction to Copán if you're headed that way, and is included in your admission price. The first floor contains temporary exhibits. Everything is labeled in Spanish here, but for an extra L50 you can rent a portable audio unit that gives you commentary in English about what you're seeing. Although the concept of the museum gift shop hasn't really caught on in Honduras, this facility is an exception. Stop by the small shop on your way out and browse the selection of candles and leather goods made by an area women's cooperative.Admission is free on Thursday to school groups, and they come en masse; if your schedule permits, another day of the week is more peaceful.
- Address: C. El Telégrafo and Av. Miguel Paz Barahona, Barrio El Centro, Tegucigalpa
- Phone: 238–5412
- Cost: L60
- Hours: Museum: Tues.–Sat. 9–5, Sun. 10–4; Copán Virtual: Tues.–Fri. 10, 11:30 am, 2, 3:30 pm; Sat. 10, 11:30 am, 1, 2, 3:30 pm; Sun. 11:30 am, 1, 2, 3:30 pm.
- Website: www.min.hn
- Location: Barrio El Centro
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more