Fodor's Honduras & the Bay Islands
Iglesia de Suyapa
Iglesia de Suyapa Review
The statue of the Virgen de Suyapa can be found in the 16th-century Iglesia de Suyapa, an intimate church where the flickering of candles lit by the faithful can be quite humbling. The figure, so tiny you'll need to squint to see it, is housed above the altar. Religious items, such as decorative prayer cards featuring the image of the Virgin, are for sale in the stalls down the steps from the church. Each February there is a pilgrimage to celebrate the day of the Virgin of Suyapa, and many vendors and food stalls are set up.
- Address: Blvd. Suyapa, Suyapa
- Location: Suyapa
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more