Sports and the Outdoors in Tegucigalpa
Sports and the Outdoors
As it is in most countries in Latin America, soccer is akin to religion in Honduras, especially with the national team advancing to the 2010 World Cup competition in South Africa for the first time in decades. (No matter that Honduras did not win single a match there; all eyes and ears were glued to TV and radio respectively when their beloved team played.) In fact, the populace is so passionate about fútbol that a game with El Salvador in 1969 sparked a war—although the underlying conflicts were more serious.
The fútbol season runs October to July, when Estadio Nacional hosts matches weekends and Wednesday. Check the local papers for times. Admission is about L25. Barrio Morazán, Col. Palmira, Tegucigalpa.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe