Fodor's Honduras & the Bay Islands
Playa Grande Review
Visualizing the island as a clock, its most popular beach sits at the nine-o'clock position, facing the Salvadoran mainland. Less shelter from the ocean makes for rougher swimming at Playa Grande. But this beach does not have the mud problem evident at Playa El Burro, which does make for a more pleasant stroll along the sand. A slew of makeshift food stands spring up on weekends, seriously cutting into the space here. Local legend holds that pirate treasure is buried somewhere here on the beach.
- Address: 3 km (2 mi) south of Amapala, Isla del Tigre
- Location: Isla del Tigre
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more